Monday, July 31, 2023

My New Name

Isaiah 62:2b You shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will give.

When a person commits themselves to follow God and honor Him in their life, it changes them in many ways – how they live, how they think, how they respond to life experiences. We find this concept all through the Bible, culminating in the teaching of Paul when he said that in Christ, we are made a new creation(2 Corinthians 5:17). In Revelation we are told that wen we get to heaven God will give each of us a new name (Revelation 2:17). 

I see the same thing here in Isaiah 62. The new names mentioned in this chapter tell me a lot about what God wants to do in my heart and life if I will let Him. My new names include:

* My Delight (v.4) – Instead of being opposed to God and God to me, I become His delight … He enjoys my company.

* Married (v.4) – Married is what a man and a woman in love do to cement their relationship and commitment to one another. God is committed to me for eternity. He has sealed that commitment to our relationship through Jesus’ sacrifice.

* Holy People (v.12) – Because of the blood of Jesus covering my sin, as a believer I have been made holy in God’s perspective. I am not perfect, but God considers me to be holy, set apart for Him.

* Redeemed Of The Lord (v.12) – The Bible makes it clear that the Messiah came to make the ultimate sacrifice for sin to buy us back from our enemy Satan. When I put my faith in Jesus, His payment went into effect for me so that I was redeemed – bought back – for freedom from slavery to sin.

* Sought out (v.12) – To be sought out means that someone has looked specifically for something and found it. I see that as something God has done for me, and this name tells me how important I am to Him.

* A City Not Forsaken (v.12) – To be forsaken is to be left alone, to be desolate. It is certainly a sad word. This name turns that all around. God has not left me alone to fend for myself in this life. I am not desolate because I have all the benefits of being in God’s care and keeping.

My spiritual birth certificate would be an interesting one if I were to see it: Spiritual Birthplace, Ravenna, Ohio; spiritual Birthdate, sometime in 1954; Name: Jo Ann My Delight Married Holy Redeemed South Out Not Forsaken Piotter. I guess that would make a pretty big gravestone when I leave this earthly life, also!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep Your Mind On It

I Corinthians 14:15 I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with...