Tuesday, October 31, 2023

The Level Playing Field

Matthew 19:25-26 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

This conversation between Jesus and His disciples came because of the interaction of Jesus with the wealthy young man who appeared unable to give up his wealth to follow Jesus.

I think the disciples were like most of us – we feel like the possession of money must surely have some value in life. Surely it should be able to give one success and happiness, if nothing else.

This rich man had everything we would think you need to succeed. 

He was young.

He was religious.

He was wealthy.

How could that combination not be a successful one? 

What Jesus reminds us, however, is that salvation is totally a work of God. 

There is nothing that we can bring to the table, so to speak, as a bargaining chip towards salvation and eternal life in heaven. 

Even what we think ought to be, or could be, leverage for us, has no real value because God is the source of our salvation. 

It certainly levels the playing field of salvation for all of mankind because no one has an advantage over others when it comes to who can have salvation.

It all depends on our decision to let God have all we are and all we have.

It all depends on our decision to put aside our youth, or health, or wealth, or religiosity, as secondary to God's request for our heart, our devotion, our repentance.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep Your Mind On It

I Corinthians 14:15 I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with...