Saturday, July 29, 2023

Earthquake-proof

Psalm 46:2 We will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea …

 Not long ago, central South Carolina experienced a series of small earthquakes (one or two we felt here at home), which gendered a lot of discussion about earthquakes. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was reading about earthquake-resistant buildings and when I read Psalm 46 this morning, I remembered what I had read and saw a spiritual application right away. The article I read said there are five principles to follow when building a structure that can withstand earthquakes. Spiritually speaking, I have those same things available to make my life earthquake-proof:

  • An appropriate foundation. Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our strength, a very present help in trouble.” If He is my life’s foundation, my fear of falling is gone. I have a good, solid foundation upon which I am building my life.
  • Seismic dampers, i.e., something to absorb the shocks from an earthquake. Psalm 46:5: “God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved.” It is God’s presence in my life that keeps me steady. No matter what happens, I can feel, and be, secure even if life is shaking from unpleasant events. The Bible is full of promises that support this verse in Psalm 46. I have had a few seismic shocks in my experience but I can truthfully say that none of them were able to completely destroy me because in every situation I had an underlying peace that kept me from falling. Yes, I felt the shocks, but they were only that, not anything that could destroy my confidence that God was going to help me through the situation.
  • A drainage mechanism, i.e., something to keep water from pooling in the soil around you. Psalm 46:4 says, “There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God.” The moving stream made me think of the drainage – no spiritual water is pooling around me when my faith is in God. I am constantly being refreshed by His Spirit to my spirit. My human, earthly house has no shifting soil that could cause it to fall.
  • Structural reinforcement, i.e., frames that transfer the earthquake forces from the roof and floors to the foundation. Psalm 46:6: “The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts." God is in control and is the Ruler of all the forces of the world, both physical and spiritual. His voice is all the structural reinforcement I need to keep my life secure. My regular and frequent visits to God's Word keep me hearing His voice. That voice transfers all my fear to my foundation - my faith in God alone.
  • Use of building materials able to absorb large amounts of energy without breaking. Psalm 46:10 sums up this spiritual application: "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth." My faith in Almighty, Exalted God - my knowledge of His holiness and goodness absorb each trial, each unsettling experience, leaving me still strong.

All said, I have an earthquake-proof life in God. I have peace and confidence. As long as I keep my safe-guards (my foundation, my dampers, my drainage, my structural reinforcement) in place, I cannot fall or be destroyed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep Your Mind On It

I Corinthians 14:15 I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with...