Friday, August 4, 2023

My List of Reminders

Nahum 1:3, 7 The Lord is slow to anger and great in power … The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.

 Although the emphasis of Nahum’s prophecy is the vengeance of God against the wicked in the ancient city of Nineveh, there are some powerful reminders in his prophetic message for me:

REMINDER: God is slow to anger. He does not “fly off the handle.” He patiently waits until a person has had many opportunities to do what is right before He becomes angry. 

REMINDER: God is great in power. It is not a matter of waiting until He can gather up the resources to act against sin. He can do that at any time. He chooses to wait to act against sinfulness.

REMINDER: God is good. He is more interested in being merciful than having to take steps of judgment and punishment.

REMINDER: God is a stronghold, a place of security when things go wrong. I can trust Him to take care of me even when I cannot do it for myself.

REMINDER: God knows those who take refuge in Him. His issue is not with His faithful followers but rather with the unrepentant wicked people. 

Nahum’s prophetic message was that when God’s patience runs out, watch out. The judgment against wickedness will be harsh and final.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep Your Mind On It

I Corinthians 14:15 I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with...